Mental well-being is an important aspect of work ability management
Sickness absences and work ability risks caused by mental well-being problems have been increasing for several years now. In 2020, one in three disability pensions had underlying causes related to mental disorders. With this in mind, it is increasingly important for employers to look after the mental well-being of employees in order to maintain the work ability of the individual employees and the workplace community as a whole. Our occupational health team and occupational well-being services support you in work ability management related to mental well-being.
Anticipate work ability risks
- Mental well-being problems can reduce the work ability of employees and the workplace community and their ability to cope with the demands of work. It is important for supervisors to identify the psychosocial stress factors affecting employees and anticipate the related risks.
- Supervisors also need to keep track of employees’ sickness absences related to mental health. In the case of extended or frequent absences, the supervisor and employee should discuss what kind of support could benefit the employee.
- With the support of Terveystalo’s occupational health team and intelligent technology systems designed to aid healthcare professionals, you can keep an eye on predictive signals. Supervisors are provided with data on cognitive load and risks identified on the basis of a health survey, for example.
Manage the mental well-being of your employees
- It is important for supervisors to determine the psychosocial stress factors of each job and respond to them appropriately. Work, the efficiency of work and supervisory work should be actively managed and developed.
- It is important to focus on interaction and the atmosphere of the workplace community. Supervisors should encourage employees to highlight problems and resolve any conflicts.
- Not every employee has the same level of work ability. For example, it is important to find suitable tasks for partially disabled employees. When challenges related to work ability emerge, the supervisor should work together with the HR department and the occupational health team to find solutions.
- You do not need to be left to your own devices when it comes to managing your employees’ mental well-being; Terveystalo’s highly capable occupational health teams are here to help.
Measurement and monitoring to support your occupational health
Keep an eye on predictive signals
Even if there are no signs of mental well-being problems or declining work ability, supervisors should continuously monitor their employees’ ability to cope with the demands of work. Changes in an employee’s working practices, behavior or productivity may be predictive signals of declining mental well-being. Examples of concrete measurement tools include analyzing the responses to occupational health surveys and monitoring sickness absences.
Occupational health tools and the team help you with real-time monitoring and measurement
In addition to keeping an eye on predictive signals, it is also important to monitor direct indications of mental well-being problems among employees. For example, mental health diagnoses or the accumulation of absences caused by mental well-being problems may predict the need for support. When you engage in occupational healthcare cooperation with us, you will have access to a highly capable occupational health team and convenient tools, such as our Suunta and Sirius services, to make monitoring and measurement easier.
Ensure continuous development and responsiveness
The dynamic nature of working life makes it important to be prepared to develop operating practices and respond quickly to any increase in mental well-being problems among employees. Measurement and monitoring play an important role in taking quick and effective action to address any problems.
Read more about our occupational health services to support mental well-being
Suunta provides a single platform for all of the key digital tools related to occupational healthcare cooperation. Suunta makes it easy to interact and cooperate with the occupational health team. It also makes it convenient to monitor analytical data.
Psychologically Healthy Workplace
Psychologically Healthy Workplace is a model we have developed to help you reduce sickness absences caused by mental health issues at your workplace. We offer coaching to senior management, supervisors and other personnel, and we also provide you with tools.
Work ability management
Work ability management can help you prevent sickness absences, reduce costs and build a healthy workplace community. We put our expertise to use to support your work ability management and provide you with related tools.