Health center for seafarers
Terveystalo’s health center for seafarers provides health care and occupational health services to seafarers and conducts medical fitness examinations of seafarers.
The health center for seafarers provides health care and occupational health services to seafarers and conducts medical fitness examinations of seafarers. Starting on June 1, 2022, the services of the health center for seafarers of the City of Helsinki will be provided by Terveystalo Keskuskatu. We provide both medical care and medical certificates for seafarers.
Based on the Act on Medical Fitness Examinations of Seafarers (1171/2010), people serving on board must be medically fit to serve at sea. When a person starts maritime work or studies, they undergo a pre-sea examination. For seafarers to be engaged on international voyages, the pre-sea examination must be carried out at a health center for seafarers. For domestic voyages, the pre-sea examination can also be carried out by a recognized medical practitioner working somewhere other than a health center for seafarers. Examinations following the pre-sea examination are periodic examinations. Periodic examinations for both domestic and international voyages do not need to be performed by a recognized medical practitioner at a health center for seafarers.
Typically, medical certificates for seafarers are valid for a period of two years from the date of issue. Medical certificates issued to seafarers under 18 years of age are valid for one year. In some cases, the physician carrying out the examination can limit the validity based on an illness, for example.
Scheduling an appointment and information
Our customer service is open 24/7 at +358 30 6000*. We will record your information and call you back on weekdays between 8 am and 4 pm. If your occupational health services are provided by Terveystalo, please contact your occupational health team using the Terveystalo app or log into our website to make an appointment for a medical fitness examination to receive a medical certificate.
Please note that you are referred to the following services in connection with scheduling an appointment for a pre-sea examination:
- Chest x-ray (Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa). In other municipalities, please contact the local health center for information about chest x-rays.
- Laboratory tests performed on a urine sample. Please be prepared to give a urinary sample in connection with the examination, if not earlier.
The price of a medical certificate for seafarers
A medical certificate for seafarers costs EUR 50.60 to be paid in connection with the visit.
Instructions for a medical fitness examination
- Please bring an ID card with a photograph with you.
- If you have glasses, please take them with you. Remove contact lenses before the examination.
- Bring a previous medical certificate for seafarers with you. If you have a decision on dispensation, please take it with you. The decision often contains instructions on necessary examinations to be attached to an application to renew the dispensation.
- The examinations takes 1.5 hours.
- Please cancel your appointment well in advance if you are unable to make it. You can find our terms of cancellation here
- In case of a pre-sea examination for international voyages, please bring a report on a chest x-ray issued within the last 12 months.
- A chest x-ray is not required for domestic voyages.
- In case of a periodic examination, an x-ray is performed at the discretion of the physician.
Please see the standards of eyesight and hearing required of seafarers https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset/2013/20130224