How to prepare for laboratory sample taking
Various things affect the results of laboratory tests. It is important to follow the preparation guidelines to ensure that the results are as reliable as possible and comparable to reference values. Please inform the laboratory personnel if you have deviated from the instructions you have received for any reason. You need to have a photo ID with you.
General instructions for all sampling
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before sampling. Also avoid smoking and physical exertion 24 hours before sampling.
- Follow the instructions of your doctor when taking medicines. For drug concentration tests, a blood sample is usually taken before taking the medicine.
- For hormone tests, follow the instructions of your doctor. Some hormone tests (e.g. S -TSH, S -Korsol, S -Testo) must be taken at a certain time of day, as concentrations vary depending on the time of day. For example, the S -TSH test is recommended to be taken between 8 am and 2 pm.
- On the day of sampling, avoid natural health products and vitamins as they may affect the results of laboratory tests.
- We recommend sitting down for 15 minutes before sampling to stabilize your blood circulation.
In the case of a fasting sample
- For a fasting sample, you should not eat or drink for 10-12 hours from the night before until the time of sampling. However, the fasting period must not exceed 12 hours. During the fast you can drink a glass of water, but do not eat pastilles or chewing gum.
- If you have diabetes, follow your doctor’s instructions about fasting or any change in your insulin dose before the sample is taken.
- Tests that require fasting will have a lower case letter f (e.g. fS-Fe) in the prefix.
In the case of a non-fasting sample
- You can eat and drink normally the day before the test. On the day of the test, you can eat a light meal before the sample is taken, however do not drink caffeinated drinks such as coffee and tea.
In the case of a follow-up thyroid medication test
- For monitoring thyroxine treatment, a sample (e.g. S -TSH, S, T4-V) should be taken in the morning before taking the drug. If you have already taken the morning dose, the sample can be taken at the earliest 4 hours after taking the thyroxine tablets.
In the case of a urine sample
- If you are suspected of having a urinary tract infection, urine should be in the bladder for at least 4 hours before sampling, or as long as possible.
- For the urine albumin to creatinine ratio test (U-AlbKre), a sample is taken from the first urine of the morning. For home sampling, you can obtain sampling equipment from our laboratories.
- For other urine samples, follow the instructions given to you. For example, for collection urine tests (prefixed with dU- or cU-), our laboratories will provide you with instructions and equipment for urine collection at home.
In the case of a pharyngeal sample
- Do not eat or drink for an hour before sampling. In addition, avoid using products that flush or disinfect the pharynx, such as mouthwash, lozenges or chewing gum, for two hours before sampling.
- However, the throat sample -CtGcNhO does not require abstinence from eating or drinking before sampling.
In the case of an ECG (electrocardiogram)
- Follow the general guidelines for all sampling.