The most significant short-term risks and uncertainty factors
Terveystalo’s risk management is governed by the risk management policy approved by the Board. The policy defines goals, principles, organizations, responsibilities and practices for risk management. The management of financial risks complies with the Group’s financing policy approved by Terveystalo’s Board. The risks were last updated in connection with Q1/2022 report on 28 April, 2022.
Terveystalo’ s risk management is governed by the risk management policy approved by the Board. The policy defines goals, principles, organizations, responsibilities, and practices for risk management. The management of financial risks complies with the Group’s financing policy approved by Terveystalo’ s Board.
The risks and uncertainty factors described below are considered to potentially have a significant impact on the company’s business operations, financial results and future outlook within the next 12 months. The list is not intended to be exhaustive.
- The company’s business operations rely on its capacity to identify, recruit, and retain competent and professional healthcare professionals, employees, and executives. The increased supply of services and increased competition may affect the availability of healthcare professionals, particularly in major cities. Turnover in key employees involves the risk of losing knowledge and expertise.
- Weak general economic performance in Finland and its effects on the financial circumstances of private individuals, employers and public entities may adversely affect Terveystalo’s business and results of operations by decreasing the demand for Terveystalo’s services, as well as may adversely affect the availability of financing.
- The development and implementation of information system projects and services, service products, and operating models involves risks. The company is gradually replacing its operating systems and support systems as well as creating new digital customer solutions, which increases the overall risk related to information systems. A failure in the development of digital systems may expose Terveystalo to potential technical faults and disturbance. Such failure could also lead to write-downs and unexpected costs, which could adversely affect Terveystalo’s financial position and results of operations. Risk management is an essential aspect of the systems integration and deployment processes.
- The company may not be able to find suitable acquisition targets or expansion opportunities under favorable terms, and the integration of acquisition targets is not necessarily realized as planned.
- Terveystalo’s expansion to new geographical locations involves several risks, and failure to identify expansion opportunities, recruit new employees and achieve estimated benefits may adversely affect Terveystalo’s business and results of operations.
- The company’s business is very dependent on functioning information systems, data communication and external service providers. Interruptions can result from hardware failure, software failure or cyber threats. Long-lasting malfunction of information systems or payment transfers can lead to significant loss of sales and decline in customer satisfaction.
- Endangered information security or privacy can lead to losses and claims for damages and endanger reputation.
- The COVID-19 pandemic and other potential pandemics or epidemics and related restrictive measures may adversely affect the business operations of Terveystalo through, among other things, demand for certain healthcare services and challenges in supply chain.
- Changes in the competitive landscape, new competitors entering the markets and increasing price competition may have a negative impact on the company’s profitability and growth potential.
- Terveystalo is exposed to changes in demand for occupational healthcare services due to demographic trends; ageing and shrinking working-age population.
- The Social Welfare and Healthcare Reform in Finland and its legal interpretations may have impacts on Terveystalo’s business and results of operations.
- Changes in compensation systems for healthcare services may adversely affect Terveystalo’s business, financial position and results of operations.
- Failures or deficiencies in the operational risk management, medical quality, and internal control processes may result in failure of quality control, including medical quality or otherwise adversely affect Terveystalo's profitability and reputation.
- Terveystalo’s operations could be subject to labor disruptions or disputes.
- The company is a party to, and may become a party to, legal action or administrative procedures initiated by the authorities, patients or third parties. According to the company’s opinion, its currently pending legal obligations and court cases are not significant in nature.
Risk management at Terveystalo is described in more detail here.